Thursday, August 4, 2011

Awkward Encounter

Hey Everyone!

I am nearing the end of an amazing Summer. It has been my first Summer in 6 years since I have been on a Year-Round calender 3rd - 8th grade. I went to a really cool church camp called Centrifudge over in Ridgecrest near the beginning of Summer for a week, then the next week I was at the beach in Deleware for a whole week with one of my best friends, Megan. The next week I went on a mission trip in Red Springs, NC. At Centrifudge, I met one of the guitarists from Rush of Fools who played praise songs for us everyday, and I became friends with all of Kinetic Worship during my mission trip. Currently, I am going to an acting camp at Raleigh Little Theater, and I will be at another one (still at RLT) next week.

So, today we did an acting excercise, since, hello, we are at acting camp, called Park Bench. You basically put two chairs next to eachother to form a "bench", and one person acts as themselves, while the other acts as a "weird person" whos full intent is to make the "normal person" leave the bench. For instance, if someone in a random park came up, sat next to you, and said, "I eat children," then you would leave. Well, at least I hope you would... but if someone just says "Hi!" then you probably wouldn't leave. It was an improv practice, I know it sounds boring, but bear with me. Anyways, I was next up in line after this one kid (who I will not name, we will just call him Fred). Fred said (ooh that rhymed!) to the other person- this may not be a perfect quote because this happened many hours ago and my memory isn't great but I remember most of it- "Hey, you may not want to sit next to me. I'm kinda scary. I have this thing called Tourette Syndrome where I randomly lash out at people!" and he starting hitting the other dude, who got up and ran away.
So I said, "Uh, that's not funny, I have Tourette's," really loudly.
The dude didn't look exactly mortified, and at first I'm pretty sure he didn't believe I had it, but then said, "Oh, sorry."
After my turn I went up to him and said, "That's not what Tourettes is. I was diagnosed moderate to severe and you don't see me lashing my arm out at people."
I also told him something along the lines of that I was heavily medicated and that he didn't know what TS was.
So he said he was sorry and that he didn't know what TS really was, and that he was just basing that off of South Park.
SOUTH PARK.
I know South Park makes fun of everything, but my friend had told me about the episode too, and it is extremely disrespectful (which the show shoots for, so YAY, you've achieved your goal), and a completely wrong portrayal of Tourette Syndrome.
Funny thing is, I love South Park...
So, that was my awkward encounter of the day.

In the words of an amazing red-headed eight year old, Don't be a hater.(;

Peace&Blessings, (I'm a glozell1 fan!)

Emma<3

1 comment:

  1. Way to go for standing up to that guy! That takes some guts but from what I have seen from your video's and blog it sounds like you are very much willing to spread awareness and not take that kind of nonsense. Very brave! :)

    ReplyDelete