Monday, April 9, 2012

Different, But The Same

Hey everyone!
So, right now I am uploading a video onto YouTube. It is a Tourettes Q&A. The video name is “Tourette Syndrome Q&A”, so look it up! Also, follow me on Twitter at @itslifesatwitch, and like “Life’s A Twitch” on Facebook!(:
I would like to stress the fact that people with Tourette Syndrome are still people too. I have a pretty much ordinary teenage life, except I have a few things about me that make me very different from the other kids. Even though I am very different, I am very same as them at the same time. It’s confusing, but it’s true. I have a disorder that is… let’s face it, pretty peculiar. It is a part of my life though, and I have good and accepting friends. I tic, unlike all the other kids I know, but I still hang out with friends, get boyfriends, and go to parties. Not wild parties… yet. I know that one day I am going to be the designated driver for my crazy best friend *Holly (*name changed). Even though I’m extremely anxious about driving, I’ve been encouraged that I’ll be able to do it, and maybe I can one day. I may have four different medicines prescribed to me, but I still go to sleepovers and have fun. I may stay up until the AM ticcing so hard that I get cramps in my muscles, but I still go out to places with my friends the next day. I may have extreme anxiety about driving, but I still take Holly’s golf cart out for a spin almost every weekend. I may go to a psychiatrist, but hey, who doesn’t these days? I may need things to be symmetrical, but I still wear cute dresses even if they cannot be one-shoulder dresses. I may stress out over school everyday, but I still get straight A’s. I might have gone to the emergency room for a tic that was non-stop for over 40 hours, but I’m still a pretty healthy person. I may have Tourettes, but Tourettes doesn’t have me.
In three years, I am going to college, just like most everyone else. In about ten years, I’m going to get married, just like everyone else. In around 12 years, I will have children, just like everyone else. I fully intend on having a normal life- with a few of my own fun twists of course! I’d love to be an actress in a TV show or a movie star, or even a singer. I’m going to get a job one day, just like the rest of a fraction of the United States population (A little economical humor, eh?). I am going to write novels and be a best-selling author. I am going to raise my daughter Temperence, and my son Cameron Sealy into amazing people. I will have a loving husband who will make me sandwiches. These things I also fully intend on happening. Yes, I do pathetically have my kids’ names planned out already. Anyway, I just wanted to outline the fact that even though I’m very different, I’m very much normal at the same time (Even though I’m a bit more fun than just plain old normal).

                                     Me                                        “Holly”
As always, thank you for reading.(:
Emma<3

4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog Emma - it's so good!! I actually had no idea you had tourette's. I'm so impressed by you. And don't worry, I knew when I was in high school that I wanted a boy named Silas - and now I have one :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. emma you amaze me. thanks to your mom for sharing this on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma,
    I've been reading your blog and just wanted to say you are an amazing young lady. You are so right that we all have our issues. Your worth comes from God, not what others think and I am so thankful you see that. Thanks for posting and for continuing to educate others to love and appreciate our differences.
    Jennifer Sass

    ReplyDelete
  4. emma,
    my name is chris, i went to school with your mother. i to know how it feels to be teased and laughed at for something you have no control of, i was born with lymphangioma in the face. it is awesome that you are letting more people know about tourette's. i know it is hard to take the stares, words, and all the laughing from other people. it is almost like it rips you apart from the inside out. keep your head held up and your spirit high. hopefully, when those people grow up, they will look back on how bad they treated others and change for the better. like you said, everyone has problems, even if you cant see them. we all will be judged by the one and only almighty in due time..... just remember to live life to the fullest and never allow anyone or anything to hold you back!

    ReplyDelete